On 05/22/2012 1:01 PM, Newman, John W wrote:
Thanks..

Unfortunately neither suggestion worked

chgrp still just says "invalid group"

"invalid group", even though it shows up in wbinfo -g and getent group says a lot about winbind.

valid users = @"DOMAIN\\My Group" behaves the same as I described in
the OP. Valid credentials = access denied ; invalid credentials =
invalid name or bad password. I already tried all sorts of things in
valid users, but nothing is the magic string I need.

Any other ideas?

Hi
I realise that you may be stuck with winbind as you inherited the project but it has to be said that it it really is even these days shrouded in mystery and is inflexible enough to make us have to switch. To have to suffer this to get a rw share is just too much!

We have never looked back since switching to libnss-ldapd. For someone at your level, it's a doddle to setup and you get one to one gid:uid mappings _every_ time. We have a howto we can send off list if you get fed up. It's for Samba4 though.
Cheers,
Steve