On 02/07/12 21:17, Matthieu Patou wrote:
On 07/02/2012 08:39 AM, steve wrote:
Samba4 with Linux and Windows clients wanting to get the same home
folder data.

Hi
A college has students arranged with Linux home directories according
to which year they belong to and which class within that year, a or b
or whatever, they belong to e.g.:
/home2/students/year7/year7a/student1
/home2/students/year7/year7a/student2
/home2/students/year13/year13a/student2500

To get at the same data on windows, I was thinking of a share for each
of the classes e.g.
[year7a]
path = /home2/students/year7/year7a
read only = No
browsable = No
[year13a]
path = /home2/students/year13/year13a
read only = No
browsable = No

and mapping a drive letter to the share e.g.
map Z: to \\server\year7a\%USERNAME%

That would make lots of shares but would make it readable to non admins.

Is there a limit on the number of shares per installation?
Any other ideas of how to go about it? e.g. I thought about OU's but
we do not want to administer from Windows.

Did you thought about making a new directory ie.
/home2/students/data with a link to each real user and then sharing data
like that

[data]
path = /home2/students/data
read only = No
browsable = No

And then use ADUC or ldbedit to specify the connect to attribute and set
it to \\servername\data\%username%

Hi Matthieu,
That looks promising. Will cifs symlink, or are we still at ext4 level here?

Are you saying that a real student e.g.
/home2/students/year7/year7a/steve
has a symlink in
/home2/students/data
??
Would that be e.g. for student steve:
ln -s /home2/students/year7/year7a/steve /home2/students/data/steve
(or is the link the other way around?)

All students then have a link in
/home2/students/data/<name>
irrespective of which class they are in.

For all students, I then map, e.g.  Z:
\\servername\data\%USERNAME%

Am I close?

Cheers and thanks for your patience.