On 12/08/12 15:28, Gémes Géza wrote:
On 08/11/2012 01:10 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
On Sat, 2012-08-11 at 11:21 +0200, Helmut Hullen wrote:
Hallo, Andrew,

Du meintest am 11.08.12:

In Samba3, I have full rfc2307 compliance via winbind where all
attributes can be obtained from AD.

In Samba4 I only have partial rfc2307 compatibility with:
idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
uidNumber and gidNumber can be obtained from AD but
uinxHomeDirectory and loginShell are missing.
[...]

At this stage, we still don't recommend combining file server and DC
functions.  By separating these functions onto different (virtual)
servers, you can avoid this issue.
Sorry - that sounds ugly.
I prefer using samba as a combined system for SOHO (especially for
schools). And working with several servers (especially virtual servers)
is not attractive for someone who looks for the server as a second or
third job, beneath his/her main job.
I would rather advertise a narrower, known to work set of functionality
than to promise broader features than we know works well in production
experience.

In particular, we know about the limitations that Steve mentions, and we
know the workaround:  don't mix the file server and AD DC.

Andrew Bartlett

Hi
Does this mean having one Samba4 machine as the DC and another Samba4
(e.g. Vbox) machine joined to it as a member to act as fileserver?
Cheers,
Steve

If you don't want to use the second box interactively yes, if you intend
to login there, or have home directories served from there better
install Samba3.6 on it.

Regards

Geza

Hi Geza, hi everyone
OK, conclusion.

I have a single box with s4 DC. The same same box with a Vbox guest running S3.6, and NFS. The S4 DC becomes a NFS client when I mount the shares from the Vbox guest on it. I create users and their home directories on the DC. Files are served from the S3 Vbox guest. The DC has no shares apart from [global], [netlogon] and [sysvol]. The s3 guest carries all the shares I would normally add after the 3 default DC shares. Instead of using the hostname of the DC when I mount shares on remote clients, I use the hostname of the S3 Guest.

How am I doing so far?

Cheers,
Steve