Let Mohammad try my recommendations and them we will talk about it.

On 10/17/2012 9:07 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
On 17/10/12 15:20, Carlos R. Pena Evertsz wrote:
Hi Mohammad,

I had the same problem like many others, so I think samba should include a note like mine in their documentation.

This is the trick for successfully access the share with the hostname..

Be sure you have the following lines in the smb.conf:

netbios name = yourhostname

This is set by default

wins support = yes

This turns on the wins server, you should only turn this on if it is the only one.

Find the "name resolve order" directive and be sure you have it in the following order.

name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast

Add the following line:

hosts allow = the host ip / mask

Where the host ip is your server ip.
the mask is the mask you are using in all your windows clients.

If you set it like this, the only machine that will be able to connect would be the server itself. It should be, from data supplied, 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 This would allow any computer on the subnet to connect.

This is the most important thing. For example If you have in your server the mask 255.255.0.0 then all your clients must have the same network mask. Windows clients with the same mask of the server will see the server on the network with it hostname otherwise you need to access the server by its ip number. I think this is a Windows issue but they have left it in this way so we have to live with it.

I hope this can help you.

I doubt it.

Rowland

Carlos