(I'm not subscribed to the list: please keep me in CC)

I'm copying files between two samba server using robocopy from a third Windows PC and i'm experiencing disk usage that is much higher on the destination PC.

The origin samba server is Debian Lenny with samba 3.2.5.
The destination samba server is Debian Wheezy with samba 3.6.9
The PC running robocopy is Windows Server 2003 with robocopy XP026.

I'm copying from //gam/c$ to //gam2/c$. Either source and destination shares are mounted on /smbshare on the corresponding PCs, ext3 the former and ext4 the latter.

From gam (the source):
--------------------------
# du -s -h /smbshare/
45G     /smbshare/
# du -s -h --apparent-size /smbshare/
45G     /smbshare/
# df -h
/dev/md2              129G   45G   78G  37% /smbshare
--------------------------

And now gam2 (the destination):
--------------------------
# du -s -h /smbshare/
123G    /smbshare/
# du -s -h --apparent-size /smbshare/
45G     /smbshare/
# df -h
/dev/md1              210G  123G   77G  62% /smbshare
--------------------------

Reading the destination share size with Windows, i obtain the same size of the origin share, which is the same as reported by "du -s -h --apparent-size" on the destination. But the real filesystem usage is much more, as you can see.

This is the /etc/samba/smb.conf of the destination PC:
[global]
    security = DOMAIN
    workgroup = BERNI
    log file = /var/log/samba/samba-berni.log
    idmap config * : backend = rid
    idmap config * : range = 1000000-1999999
    invalid users = root
    admin users = "+berni\domain admins"
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0771
    vfs object = acl_xattr
    inherit owner = Yes
    hide special files = Yes
    veto files = /lost+found/
    map archive = No
    map readonly = No
    map hidden = No
    map system = No
    store dos attributes = Yes
    strict allocate = yes
    usershare path =
    restrict anonymous = 2
[c$]
    path = /smbshare
    read only = No

From dumpe2fs, these are the filesystem features of the destination PC:
Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index
                          filetype needs_recovery extent flex_bg
                          sparse_super large_file huge_file uninit_bg
                          dir_nlink extra_isize
Default mount options:    user_xattr acl

What do you think?

Cesare.