On 12/29/2012 04:38 AM, Achim Gottinger wrote:
Hello,

I'm running a  few tests here with two locations.

site1: server-site1.gsg.local subnet 192.168.200.0/24
site2: server-site2.gsg.local subnet 192.168.190.0/24

both are connected via VPN.

I migrated an samba3 domain at server-site1 it gets Default-First-Site-Name assigned. Then I joined the new samba4 domain withe server-site2. Both servers work and i can join and access them with clients at both locations. I created reverse zones for both subnets and added the required static entries. Then I created an new site (name site2) and two subnets with MS AD Site Management. I assigned subnet 192.168.200.0/24 to the site "Default-First-Site-Name" and subnet 192.168.190.0/24 to the site "site2". And moved server-site2 from Default-First-Site-Name to site2. Machines at site1 randomly picked server-site2 for logins. On site2 they always picked server-site2.

I'm not 100% sure that we implement everything that is needed for a client to pickup the correct site, so you might see some issues still.

As an last step i renamed the site "Default-First-Site-Name" into "site1". Restarted the samba services at both sites check replication. But there are still a few DNS entries left whom i deleted manual.

It's really not a good idea to delete rename the default-First site lots of Windows admins don't advise to do so, you'd better leave it empty.

Matthieu

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team