On Fri, 2013-01-04 at 01:04 +0000, Benjamin Huntsman wrote:
> Hi there!
>    We're trying to compile Samba 4.0.0 on a fresh install of AIX 6.1
> (6100-02-01-0847), with Python RPM's from perzl.org installed into
> /opt/freeware.  We're also using XLC 12.1.
>
> Unfortunately, we can't even run ./configure, as we're getting errors from
> the waf system.  Here's what we get:
>
> bash-4.2# pwd
> /admin/tst/build/samba-4.0.0
> bash-4.2# ./configure --help
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./buildtools/bin/waf", line 75, in <module>
>     import Scripting
>   File "/admin/tst/build/samba-4.0.0/buildtools/wafadmin/Scripting.py", line
> 9, in <module>
>     import Utils, Configure, Build, Logs, Options, Environment, Task
>   File "/admin/tst/build/samba-4.0.0/buildtools/wafadmin/Utils.py", line 134,
> in <module>
>     from hashlib import md5
>   File "/opt/freeware/lib/python2.6/hashlib.py", line 117, in <module>
>     exec funcName + ' = f'
> TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: '_hashlib.HASH' and 'str'
> bash-4.2#
>
> Python was installed just for this purpose, but otherwise we don't deal with
> it much.  I'd like to be able to build as many of the Samba 4.0 features as
> possible, so I don't want to revert to the old toolchain, but I'm under a
> deadline of ~1 week, so I'll try that next if I can't get the waf system to
> work.
> Anyone have any insight as to what we might be hanging up on?
>
> Many many thanks in advance!!

I think the next step is to change your python install to something as
close to the upstream python as possible.  We supply an
'install_with_python.sh' script which installs a (now old) but known
working version, but you should also have reasonable luck with just the
current python 2.7

http://python.org/download/releases/2.7.3/

Andrew Bartlett