On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 09:14 AM CST, Bjoern Baumbach <b...@sernet.de>
wrote:

> Hello Donny,
>
> On 01/09/2013 03:53 PM, Donny Brooks wrote:
> > We are migrating all of our users from the current domain to a new one we
> > created. In this process we are moving them from roaming profiles to local.
> > What would be the best practice to accomplish this? I can find plenty of
> > writeups on how to do the opposite. Also we will be doing some extra folder
> > redirection. Currently we only redirect their my documents to the server.
> > On the new system we plan to redirect AppData and Desktop also. Is there a
> > good easy way to automate this while still retaining their existing
> > information?
>
> You should take a look at the Windows user profile manager. Using
> WindowsXP you can follow these steps:
> Right click on My Computer
> Select Properties
> "Settings"-Button in User Profiles
>

> Björn
>
> --
> SerNet GmbH, Bahnhofsallee 1b, 37081 Göttingen
> phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
> AG Göttingen, HRB 2816, GF: Dr. Johannes Loxen
> http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kont...@sernet.de

Ok, I tested this on a couple of our windows 7 machines. I did as you said and
changed the profile to a local one, removed it from the existing domain, added
it to the new domain, and logged in as the user again. It gave me a new
profile. Looking in C:\Users I see the username folder and username.NEWDOMAIN.
It is creating a new profile for the same user on the new domain. Is there a
way to do this? I have searched but only see directions for doing local
profiles to roaming. Figures I would be going against the grain here.

--

Donny B.