On 15/04/13 14:07, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
Am 15.04.2013 04:23, schrieb Geoff Crompton:
On
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO#Setup_a_basic_File_Share

the instructions says

For the server to be useful you, will need to update it to have at
least one share

What do you need a file share for the server to be useful? Isn't a
domain controller 'useful' to authenticate machines and users even if it
doesn't have a file share? I would have thought that this step would be
optional, like the NTP step just above it.

The DC need at least a sysvol and netlogon share.

Regards,
Marc

That makes sense. If you've followed the HOWTO (as I just have) you probably already have sysvol and netlogon shares. Does anyone mind if I mark the 'Setup a basic File Share' as optional, and add some notes that the sysvol and netlogon shares are needed for a domain controller, but users should feel free to add their own if they desire?

Cheers,
Geoff
+1 from me

Regards