Dear all,

I am new to this list so please excuse me if my posting should not correspond 100% to the rules. Furthermore, even if I use SAMBA since many years, I have only a very basic knowledge of this software.

I am experiencing a problem with my SAMBA primary domain controller that I have migrated from an openSUSE server to LinuxMint Debian Edition 201303 a week ago. I am able to join a new PC to the domain (up to now, I have only tried one with Windows XP) but when I want to log on, I get a message like: The system could not log you on because the domain XXX is not available (it is a german message and says "domain" and not "domain controller"). Google has found a lot of postings concerning this problem but they concern mainly LDAP backends and none of the proposed solutions worked for me. Most liekly I have done something absolutely silly...

What I have done so far:

I have set up the SAMBA server, version is 3.6.6 with tdb backend. I have copied the smb.conf, passdb.tdb and secrets.tdb from the old installation. Perhaps this was wrong, but in the past this has worked. I wanted to avoid changes of the SIDs of the domain and the users/groups so that I did not need to reinstall my PCs...

For the PCs that are already in the domain everything seems ok, even if there are error messages in the log files for the PCs running Windows 7, but that was already the case on the old server (e.g. [2013/04/27 14:16:04.751908, 0] rpc_server/netlogon/srv_netlog_nt.c:976(_netr_ServerAuthenticate3) _netr_ServerAuthenticate3: netlogon_creds_server_check failed. Rejecting auth request from client XXXXX machine account XXXXX$)

The new PC can join the domain and it seems to be in the domain because I can see it with pdbedit:

# pdbedit -L -v -u vm1$
Unix username:        VM1$
NT username:
Account Flags:        [W          ]
User SID:             S-1-5-21-3864121432-1942842389-509402871-1023
Primary Group SID:    S-1-5-21-3864121432-1942842389-509402871-513
Full Name:            VM1$
Home Directory:       \\matrix\homes
HomeDir Drive:        H:
Logon Script:         startup.bat vm1_  matrix
Profile Path:
Domain:               MYDOMAIN
Account desc:
Workstations:
Munged dial:
Logon time:           0
Logoff time:          Mi, 06 Feb 2036 16:06:39 CET
Kickoff time:         Mi, 06 Feb 2036 16:06:39 CET
Password last set:    Mo, 29 Apr 2013 20:02:42 CEST
Password can change:  Mo, 29 Apr 2013 20:02:42 CEST
Password must change: never
Last bad password   : 0
Bad password count  : 0
Logon hours         : FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
#

It also has a corresponding UNIX account:
#grep -i vm1 /etc/passwd
vm1$:x:1201:1201::/nonexistent:/bin/false

When I try to log on to the domain or to access a public share on the server which is not possible either, I get the following message in the log file of the PC:

[2013/04/29 20:02:42.089737, 0] rpc_server/netlogon/srv_netlog_nt.c:931(_netr_ServerAuthenticate3)
  _netr_ServerAuthenticate: no challenge sent to client VM1

I do not use winbind. Every user has a corresponding UNIX account.

My smb.conf looks like this:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (192.168.1.11)
# Date: 2013/04/24 21:37:53

[global]
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
        server string = Samba-Server
        map to guest = Bad User
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m
        name resolve order = lmhosts host bcast
        time server = Yes
        server signing = auto
        printcap name = cups
        show add printer wizard = No
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m '%u'
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r '%u'
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd '%g'
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel '%g'
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -A '%u' '%g'
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -R '%u' '%g'
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /nonexistent '%m'$
        logon script = startup.bat %U %m %N
        logon path =
        logon drive = H:
        logon home = \\%N\homes
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap config * : range =
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        cups options = raw
        hide special files = Yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /home/samba/shares/homes/%U
        valid users = %S, %D%w%S
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        inherit acls = Yes
        browseable = No

[profiles]
        comment = Network Profiles Service
        path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        store dos attributes = Yes

[users]
        comment = All users
        path = /home
        read only = No
        inherit acls = Yes
        veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/

[groups]
        comment = All groups
        path = /home/groups
        read only = No
        inherit acls = Yes

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/tmp
        create mask = 0600
        printable = Yes
        print ok = Yes
        use client driver = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
        write list = @ntadmin, root
        force group = ntadmin
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
        browseable = No

[logs]
        path = /var/log/samba/userlogs
        read only = No
        create mask = 0200
        browseable = No

[public]
        path = /home/samba/shares/public
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[lp]
        comment = HP LaserJet P2015dn
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = Yes
        print ok = Yes
        printer name = lp
        use client driver = Yes

[lpcolor]
        comment = HP Officejet Pro 8000 Wireless
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = Yes
        print ok = Yes
        printer name = lpcolor
        use client driver = Yes

Perhaps somebody here can give me a hint where to look? I did not want to include a logfile with debug level 10 enabled in my first posting ;-)

Any help is greatly appreciated but please don't forget that as far as SAMBA is concerned, I am a beginner...

Kind regards,

Ralf