Hi all

I'm trying to import our bind dns data for our domain into samba4 using sambatool. Unfortunately, our domain has lots of (unnecessary) subdomains, but that's hard to revert after a long time. So I will have to parse the bind data and do a zonecreate for each subdomain that comes out of bind. I can deal with this, but it's cumbersome :-(

The bug I'm talking about is this, when I was trying to add a subdomain, I found that samba4 retains a trailing . (dot), the root of the fqdn tree, which is usually omitted. To make this even weirder, I can add foo.bar.com and foo.bar.com. and both will be listed as pszZoneName when asking samba-tool for "dns zonelist localhost".

This is treated by samba as a different subdomain, so when I add "x.foo.bar.com" and I later query the address for "x" in subdomain "foo.bar.com.", I get an exception. (Which is also ugly, I'd rather get a nice error message and proper exit code).

In bind's zone files, these entries look like:

$ORIGIN bar.com.
x.foo IN A 1.2.3.4

or

$ORIGIN foo.bar.com.
x IN A 1.2.3.4

regardless of whether I query for x.foo.bar.com or x.foo.bar.com. I expect the same answer. But in the zone files, the trailing dot is mandatory to indicate where the root of the tree starts (without the dot, the $ORIGIN is appended for the full name)

my samba-tool version is: 4.0.5-4.el6.1

Cheers

Simon