On 25/07/13 20:14, dahopk...@comcast.net wrote:

[SNIP]

Step 6: I already have samba-common, and samba-common-bin (latest for
10.04) installed. I'd assume I need to uninstall these and install
samba4 instead (especially as step 8 is to join the domain).

Not familiar with Ubuntu, but that is very very unlikely. Samba 3.x has been able to be a member server of an AD domain for a long time now, and the version included with 10.04 is almost certainly capable of doing that.

Samba4 is primarily about being able to imitate an Active Directory domain controller. The point about joining the domain is to get a Kerberos ticket so the machine can authenticate against the AD to do lookups etc.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.