Hello Jordan,

Am 17.09.2013 01:28, schrieb Jordan Verschuer:
However, after rebooting I can log on to swat and see that the smbd and
nmbd services are running and I can make quick changes to the
configuration, like adding a new user or updating the password, and I can
even map to the share... for about a minute!

After about 1 minute the swat/smbd/nmbd services stop... as well as all
inetd services!!

I don't know Solaris, but why are you starting Samba through Inetd and not as standalone? And what happens if you start it standalone? I never saw Samba through Inetd. But as I said: I'm not familiar with Solaris. :-)

I cannot rlogin from a new terminal, or rsh or finger in the current
terminal,

however ssh still works but this isn't an inetd service.

Has anyone got a clue as to what might be happening?

It seems that something crashes the whole Inetd, what causes it's child processes automatically also to die. I haven't used Inetd any more for almost 15 years. Is there anything in the logs or a way to increase Inetd loglevel?

I would try to avoid Inetd for starting samba.

And why not updating to the latest Samba version? 3.6 goes into security only maintainance mode with it's next version.

Regards,
Marc