On 2013-10-03 2:38 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 10:17:18AM -0400, Kevin Field wrote:
Hi,

I'm cross-posting here from serverfault.com in case anyone can help.
I just found a similar question on askubuntu.com also without an
answer.

Switched recently from W2K3 to Samba4.0.9/CentOS6.4 for our
fileshare for WinXP clients.

Have an ancient (1995!) piece of software that uses 8.3 filename
format. After the switch, long filenames became useless in the
context of the File->Open dialog box. Instead of the first few
characters, we get maybe 1 character the same if we're lucky, which
in a directory of thousands makes it impossible to find. For
example, instead of "S:\Air conditioning control system" becoming
"S:\AIRCON~1" like it would before, it's displayed in this program
as "S:\A51FHG~S".

In our directory of client identifiers with their contact names
appended, formerly directory mangling would leave enough characters
intact that client identifiers could still be used. Not anymore.

None of the settings in the docs seem to talk about this exact
problem. In fact, they seem to show it the way we were used to. Our
smb.conf doesn't use any of the settings because the defaults seem
to be what we want, according to the docs. Any hints?

This is the mangling method that changed to hash2 (gives
better protection against duplicates).

Use the smb.conf parameter "mangling method = hash"
to change it back to the way it used to be.

Jeremy.

Thanks Jeremy! I'm not sure how I missed that in the docs. Anyway, it is much, much better than before, but still not exactly like Windows. For example, we have two folders beginning with C-FZP. Instead of C-FZPD~1 and C-FZPP~1, which in our context is exactly enough to tell which one we want, it's a bit (or in this case...a byte) more aggressive in hashing and makes it C-FZP~59 and C-FZP~A5, so that we can no longer tell and have to guess.

Oh but wait, now I see:

"The minimum value is 1 and the maximum value is 6.

"mangle prefix is effective only when mangling method is hash2."

This does exactly what we want! And now I also see how I think I missed it: this parameter isn't in the "NAME MANGLING" section.

Thanks!
Kev