On 11/10/13 11:39, Winfried wrote:
Started over by removing the Windows host from the equation, and connecting
to Samba from within the server.

===============================
# cat smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
security = SHARE

[Plans]
path = /plans
read only = Yes
guest ok = Yes

===============================

# smbclient -L localhost -U%
WARNING: The security=share option is deprecated
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.8]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.8]

===============================

I get the same error message when adding those items one at a time:

===============================
[Plans]
browsable = yes

[global]
guest account = nobody
map to guest = Bad User
===============================

However, when adding "invalid users = nobody" to [global], I get the
following error message:
===============================
nobody "tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD"

[2013/10/11 12:13:40.210674, 0] smbd/password.c:731(authorise_login)
authorise_login: rejected invalid user nobody
===============================

So I figured maybe Samba requires adding the "nobody" user to its user
database instead of just relying on the entry in /etc/passwd:
===============================
# smbpasswd -an nobody
User nobody password set to none.
===============================

... but no go:
===============================
# smbclient -L localhost -U%
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
OK, as I said, I set up Ubuntu 12.0.3 server in a VM, installed samba 3.6.3 and used this smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
encrypt passwords = yes
log level = 2
guest account = nobody
security = user
map to guest = Bad User

[test]
path = /tmp
browsable = yes
read only = yes
guest ok = yes

There are NO users on the Ubuntu server apart from the root user and NO users have been added to samba.

I created a test document in /tmp

I then fired up an XP VM, logged in and went to 'My Network places', typed into the navigation bar '\\192.168.0.227\test'

192.168.0.227 being the ipaddress of the samba 3.6.3 server and 'test' being the share

After a short pause, up came the share and I could open the test document in notepad.

So, unless there was a drastic change between 3.6.3 and 3.6.8, either your latest smb.conf is at fault or it is network fault or similar. Try opening a terminal on the Linux machine and typing 'man smb.conf' and then start reading.

Rowland