Are you using RedHat 8.0?  It's also broken on my
RedHat 8.0 workstation; I think it's because there are
so many members of that group and some broken library
in 8.0 can't handle long group memberships.  It's
working perfectly on all of my 7.3 servers.

A _possible_ workaround is:
getent group | grep 'Domain Users'
(find out what the group id is.  On my system, it's
10000).
chgrp 10000 -R some_directory

I can't test it, it's just a thought.  I'm waiting
anxiously for RedHat 8.1, but I'm also considering
moving my workstation to Debian.

Well it is Redhat 8.0. So may be it is specific Redhat problem, but not so important for me by now; however it is good if you know everithing works as it should work.