Kanh --

I'm currently beating my head against the pam_mount wall, with no luck. It's the only way I can think of to do this w/o storing the password in plain text. pam_mount is supposed to be able to mount using the login credentials, but I haven't been able to make it work. I'll report any results I find. If you come across any other solutions, could you let me know?

Cheers,

Aaron Bennett

Khanh Tran wrote:
OK, so I got all pam problems sorted out. For those interested, this
pam/gdm worked on my RH 8.0 box:

auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth use_first_pass
nullok
auth required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth required /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account sufficient /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
account required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session optional /lib/security/pam_console.so

The only difference from what I had been using was the addition of the
likeauth and nullok options on the pam_unix.so library.

Now on to my next issue with home directories! I've tried two methods.
First, I've used what the Winbind docs says for template homedir in
smb.conf: /home/%D/%U. When my user logs in, i get an error that the home
directory does not exist and then logs the user out. This is expected
because they don't exist locally :)

Second, I tried first mounting all my users' home directories (we mount them
here under windows like Novell used to) under /home.DOMAIN. Then, I changed
template homdir to /home/home.%D and restarted the Samba daemons. The user
can log in, but I get the following permission error because I've got the
home dirs mounted as root.

Feb 20 08:12:26 Martyr gdm[849]: gdm_slave_session_start: Directory
/home.DOMAIN/user/.gnome2 does not exist.
Feb 20 08:12:26 Martyr gdm[849]: gdm_slave_session_start: Directory
/home.DOMAIN/user/.gnome2 does not exist.
Feb 20 08:12:26 Martyr gdm[849]: gdm_auth_user_add: /home.DOMAIN/user is not
owned by uid 10173.
Feb 20 08:12:47 Martyr gdm(pam_unix)[849]: session closed for user
DOMAIN\user

So, I guess my question is, is there a way to mount each user's home
directory with their proper auth credentials under unix? I've read through
the MARC archives and seen brief mentions of a hacked pam_mount, but nothing
detailed or a more "standard" solution.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Khanh Tran
Network Operations