What is the platform (i.e. what distrobution of Linux)?

A client of mine is seriously investigating migrating their 7 NT servers and
3000+ users to Linux running Samba.
I've read one or two documents so far about the migration, but I'm still a
little unclear about a number of things.

When you have a chance I'd really appreciate your guidance on the following
items.
1.) LDAP, /etc/passwd or MySQL backend (if supported).

The standard backend should be ldbm. I would reccomend sticking with it unless you have specific needs that dictate otherwise. Custom front ends can be written using Java.

2.) User/machine account migration utilities.

There is a script package called smbldap-tools that might contain a script for this. These days it is usually packaged with the server and is usually found in '/usr/local/samba/scripts'. slapcat is another alternative although I am uncertain as how to go about using it on a remote M$ system.

3.) Front-ends for adding user/machine accounts.

There is a script for it in smbldap-tools. Would probably be quite easy to rig up a secured web page as a front end for it. There is also such tools as 'directory_administrator', gq, and I believe Mandrake's UserDrake also will access an LDAP directory.

4.) Configuration of BDC(s).

That is out of my area.

Or any links to the information would be great.

Many thanks and kind regards.

David Wilson
DcData/LinuxBox S.A.
+27 83 787 7424