Once I have set up my Linux samba servers I would like to be able to get
users to access our Novell 5 server via samba.

It seems to suggest on the Samba site that Samba will run on a Novell server
but does anybody know how to do this?

May be it would be easier to mount Novell volumes on the samba server and export them as samba shares. I know you can do that to export Novell volumes as NFS exports. On the other side, Novell is quite good as file server, so why not use its own goodies?