%%jrrs wrote:
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

[ getting about an 8 load average, with very little actually running. ]

  this might be wholly inapplicable, but i once had a situation similar
  to that, where my reported load was much much greater than my perception
  of what the system was actually *doing*.

i had enabled the diskd cache whatnot method of squid, rather than the normal ufs method.

either the squid process itself or one of its child processes was polling
something ( i don't believe it was the physical disk, but i don't fancy
being quoted on that ) once every second or so. the poll was only a blip, but it was enough to keep the load high.

  so, perhaps if those processes were strobing/polling something, it wouldn't
  make the system run as busily as the load was telling you?

again, that might not be terribly applicable. ?

It might be quite applicable. One interesting thing is that the load was *exactly* at 8 when nothing was really going into R state. I wish I had noted how many of those hung df processes there were. 4 or 8 would be interesting numbers!