Hello fellow samba users, I'm trying to setup my samba server on my linux box, went through the installation and stuff, but ran into a whole world of problems when testing it out (samba2.2.8). As I'm reading through the DIAGNOSIS.txt file included in the docs, I got stuck on Test 7. when I run "smbclient //bigserver/tmp" I get prompted with a password. when I type in my root password (I'm doing all this in root) I get a message saying "session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE" . Then I tried with "smbclient //bigserver/tmp -Ufred" and typed in the password for fred, I still get the same error. Also I can get to public,"smbclient //bigserver/public" if I don't enter any password, but when I try with -Ufred and enter the password I get the same error.

my smb.conf

[global]
        debug hires timestamp = yes
        debug pid = yes
        debug timestamp = yes
        debug uid = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        guest account = smbguest
        hide unreadable = yes
        hide dot files= yes
        log level = 3
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/%m.log
        max log size = 5000
        netbios name = notcool
        security = user
        server string = "this blows"
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
        time server = yes
        wins support = yes
        workgroup = myworkgroup

[homes] browseable = no read only = no create mode = 0600 directory mode = 0700 hide files = /*.pst/

[public] browseable = yes create mode = 0666 directory mode = 0777 guest ok = yes guest only = yes path = /home/public read only = no veto files = /*.com/*.exe/*.scr/*.dll/*.{*}/

[private] browseable = yes create mode = 0660 directory mode = 0770 force group = +users path = /home/private read only = no valid users = +staff +students +users veto files = /*.com/*.exe/*.scr/*.dll/*.{*}/ write list = +staff

[tmp]
        path = /home/tmp
        browseable = yes
        writeable = yes

what am I missing here? I'm new to the linux system and samba, so please, any help is greatly apreciated.

Email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you for your time and assistance

--Yuan