John H Terpstra wrote:

Jim,

You seem to be going through a big pain barrier!

You have CUPS installed? If so, then why are you doing things the hard
way?

With CUPS the easiest installation is to install the printer in CUPS.
The Z53 is fully supported in SuSE 8.1 and upwards.

Mandrake 9.1 as in the subject line not SuSe.

Then install only the Adobe postscript drivers for all your clients.
CUPS will do all the conversion needed. You Windows clients do not need to
talk to the printer and you cut loose from that aweful Lexmark driver.
Just a thought! It could save a lot of head banging!

Well it could but my peave is this: The Linux printing site says that the Lexmark Z53 is 100% supported on Linux.
If this is the case then the doggone thing should work.

Can you be a little more specific about the cups stuff? Will it do everything my printer will, i.e. color 1200 dpi etc?