Hello guys,

I have been running a server (running RH 7.3) with WINS support for quite some time and it works well. I am seeing that once Windows clients (Windows XP) are connected to the server, the wins.dat in the server gets updated where the clients IP etc being added. Even the server's IP has been changed (for example, the machine is moved and connected to a different network with a different WINS server), the clients still automatically find and talk to that WINS server and have themselves registered.

However, the linux clients do not seem to be so smart(?), my finding is that "wins server" has to be specified so the client's samba will then talk to the WINS server and therefore get registered. This becomes very inconvenient if the linux machnes (e.g. laptops) are used/connected to different networks where WINS servers' IPs are different or even unknown. I am wondering, how does Windows (act as a WINS client) do that? Can linux running Samba dynamically find WINS server without having to specify it in "wins server"?

Thanks
Any help is much appreciated.

Johnny