Hello,

I have received this warning from a friend. I though he was joking with me, but there it is plain as day on symantec's virus library. This affects samba 2.2.8a and below.

Here's the blurb:

Linux.Sorso is a worm that replicates using a Samba buffer overflow exploit. The worm targets vulnerable installations of the Samba server version 2.2.8a and earlier, version 2.0.10 and earlier, and Samba-TNG version 0.3.2 and earlier. The worm also contains code for a backdoor and a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack and only affects Linux running on Intel x86 platforms.

And the URL:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/linux.sorso.html

Is the version supplied by symantec incorrect? I remember there was a possible problem with 2.2.8, and this looks like it.

thanks in advance...

--jason