I did a little research on line and it seems that the smb mount going to a windows box
has a tendency of loosing its connection and returning an error message stating that
the specified mountpoint is stale and it also intermittenly flashes up another message
as follows:

renoir kernel:smb_request:result-104, setting invalid
renoir kernel:smb_retry:secussfull, new pid=2464, generation 2

now keep in mind that every couple of hours this message will flash up and the pid
will be the same number, however the genertaion will be 3 then 4 and so on.....

the mount command I am issueing is as follows

mount -t smbfs -o username=somebody,password=somepassword,gid=smbusers,dmask=0777,rw
//mamiya/dss  /smbusers/dss

Also I found a sublet of Samba called smbsh which at one time addressed this problem
but for some reason its no longer packaged with Samba versions 2.0 or higher...

Any Ideas?