Mike Klein írta:

My pam file for samba has pam_nologin for auth.

I would like to remove as many password files as possible for services on my
linux box and have them go thru pam and etc/shadow.

Is it possible for samba to auth thru pam? and then I can eliminate
smbpasswd file?

Yes it is possible, but everyone recomend against it, because it requires you to specify encrypt password = no in your smb.conf and various registry patches on your clients. The worst thing would be, that in that case every password would be sent in cear text over the wire.

Best Regards!

Geza Gemes