I'm a bit of a newbie to Samba, and am having some trouble getting it running with my Windows Server 2003 Active Directory. I've followed the procedures in the HOWTO-Collection.pdf, with no luck.

"kinit administrator" works fine, and stores a ticket in the cache:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# klist -5
Default principal: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Valid starting          Expires                 Service principal
10/10/03 06:39:19       10/10/03 16:39:19       krbtgt/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

Joining the domain works:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# net ads join
Using short domain name -- HOME
Joined 'FIREWALL' to realm 'HOME.EXAMPLE.COM'
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

If I switch to the Active Directory server, it shows firewall as a member of the directory, with an OS of Samba 3.0.0, so there's no problem here.

However, trying to access a share on server01 fails:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# smbclient -k //server01/e$
[2003/10/10 06:43:40, 0] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_receive_smb(121)
  SMB Signature verification failed on incoming packet!
session setup failed: Server packet had invalid SMB signature!
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#  smbclient -k //server01/testshare
[2003/10/10 06:48:10, 0] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_receive_smb(121)
  SMB Signature verification failed on incoming packet!
session setup failed: Server packet had invalid SMB signature!

If I try to access a share on a Win2k Pro machine, it works flawlessly:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# smbclient -k //desktop01/c$
smb: \> quit
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

My config files are attached below.

I am playing with this in a development lab with the intention of learning a bit more about Linux and Linux/Windows interoperability. Eventually, I'm heading for single sign-on across my Linux and Windows workstations (using winbindd, etc. as discussed in the HOWTO-Collection.) My Windows boxes (Win98SE, Win2K Pro/Server, WinXP Pro, Win2k3 Server) have no trouble authenticating through the Active Directory on server01.

I'm probably missing something incredibly obvious, but any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry

Here are my config files (domain name has been changed):

/etc/samba/smb.conf:
[global]
realm = HOME.EXAMPLE.COM
workgroup = HOME
security = ADS

/etc/krb5.conf:
[logging]
 default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
 kdc = FILE:/var/loc/krb5kdc.log

[libdefaults]
 ticket_lifetime = 24000
 default_realm = HOME.EXAMPLE.COM
 dns_lookup_realm = false
 dns_lookup_kdc = false
 default_etypes = des-cbc-crc des-cbc-md5
 default_etypes_des = des-cbc-crc des-cbc-md5

[realms]
 HOME.EXAMPLE.COM = {
  kdc=server01.home.example.com
  admin_server = server01.home.example.com
  default_domain = home.example.com
 }

[domain_realm]
.home.example.com = HOME.EXAMPLE.COM
home.example.com = HOME.EXAMPLE.COM

[kdc]
 profile = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kdc.conf

[appdefaults]
 pam = {
  debug = false
  ticket_lifetime = 36000