Hello, I can not seem to get smbpsswd to add any users to samba.  No
matter if I use the CLI, the Webmin module or SWAT I always get this
response when trying to add any user

[EMAIL PROTECTED] samba]# smbpasswd -m -a gerard
Failed initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user gerard$.
Failed to modify password entry for user gerard$

I take it this has somehting to do with PAM & or shadow passwords, & I
have been lookig for a about a week & the best that I can find anything
related to this 'SAM_ACCOUNT' that resembles my problem, is that I need
to make sure that ./configure (I have no idea which ./confiugure it is
although I suspect that it is the one from a manual build of samba.
Since mine was installed along wtih a bunch of other stuff when I
upgraded from RH9 to fedore core 1, I have no idea where it might be)
has PAM & or shadow options enabled.  Any help in this matter would be
greatly appreciated.

# Global parameters
[global]
        encrypt passwords = yes
        unix password sync = yes
        security = SHARE
        preferred master = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
        server string = Samba Server
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
        dns proxy = No
        workgroup = MATRIX
        ldap ssl = no
        valid users = gerard, lovswr, marlene, vswr
        max log size = 0
        printing = cups
        hosts allow = pc2, freebsd, matrix1
        guest account =