That's the query for receiving the data that is failing. What have you
set the 'unknown 5 column' to?

Here are the columns I've set to null in my smb.conf file: ("users" is the mysql identifier).

       users:plain pass column = NULL
       users:unknown 6 column = NULL
       users:acct desc column = NULL
       users:workstations column = NULL
       users:unknown string column = NULL
       users:munged dial column = NULL
       users:unknown 3 column = NULL
       users:logon divs column = logon_divs
       users:hours len column = hours_len
       users:unkown 5 column = NULL

I'm also seeing this error in my /var/log/samba/smbd.log:
   [2003/11/25 10:29:55, 0]
passdb/pdb_mysql.c:mysqlsam_select_by_field(518)
   Error while executing MySQL query Unknown column 'unknown_5' in
'field list'

Those fields don't exist in my database. Do I still need them in there even though They're not being used? I know I could add the fields as a quick fix, but I was curious if I just configured something wrong..