Fran Fabrizio wrote:

I've restarted the daemons many times since altering my smb.conf.  My
smb.conf definitely has "load printers = yes" (see the smb.conf excerpt
I sent in my initial post

Sorry, hadn't seen it....

for the rest of the relevant configuration
entries).

So I *did* read now what *you* wrote into smb.conf.

But... is Samba reading the same thing?

Use "testparm -v > smb-conf-as-seen-by-samba.txt" (hit ENTER twice)
and then investigate "smb-conf-as-seen-by-samba.txt".

You mention that it complains that it can't find the share - I think it
makes perfect sense that Samba complains that it doesn't know about a
share called 'ps4' right after it complained that it couldn't open the
CUPS configuration. :-)

It complained about this: "Unable to open printcap file cups for read!"

This means that *your* Samba tries to look for a printcap file with
the *name* "cups" to read.

However, if smbd is compiled against libcups, *and* if "printing = cups"
and "printcap = cups" smbd doesn't really need a printcap file and it
wouldn't look for one with that name either (It just means that it should
rely on the CUPS-API to find out available printers)....  Unless you
found a real bug, that is!

I have set "Printcap /dev/null" in cupsd.conf and re-started cupsd first
then smbd. Guess what? "smbclient -L localhost" still lists all my
printers! And I can still print from my Windows apps. (I can't print
anymore from OpenOffice, since that one *does* look for a printcap....)

It stands to reason that it doesn't know it
exists because it can't read the config.

What are the access rights on that printcap file, anyway?

I'm more asking about the root
problem of why it is complaining that it was "Unable to open printcap
file cups for read!".

Maybe you are not running the smbd you think you are? Maybe you compiled yourself, and are still starting the previous smbd in a different path (not having libcups support compiled in?)

What is "which smbd" giving you?

Thanks for the reply - it looks like I've covered all of the gotchas
that you mentioned.  Something else seems to be at work here...

It's strange, true. That's why I come up with strange ideas.....

-Fran