I might have missed the statement about policy regarding smbmount permissions. And, I have seen a lot of discussion in mail lists. What we all have noticed is what follows.

For an ordinary mortal to mount a Samba share (equivalent to Windows connect network drive), one needs the following performed by the root (something one does not need performed on the equivalents in a Windows system via administrator):

1) chmod u+s {dir}/smbmnt
2) chown {user in question} {mount directory}
    [or the user does this in a directory he/she already owns
      which would make sense]

Is this the intention? I am using Samba 2.2.7a.

Thank you in advance .. Richard