On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Andrew Gaffney wrote:

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

[Samba] adding printers from netlogon script
Andrew Gaffney agaffney at technaut.darktalker.net
Tue Dec 9 20:10:07 GMT 2003

While this doesn't relate specifically to Samba, I need to do this in a netlogon .bat file in a Samba domain. In my network, I have a printer hooked to a JetDirect so that it is a TCP/IP printer. Is there a way I can automatically have this printer mapped/added when the user is logged on?

Test this command from a "DOS box":

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n
\\printerserver\printersharename

If it works, it can go into the logon script. (Of course "printersharename"
needs to exist on "printerserver" and must have printer driver deposited on
the server's [print$]-share for "point'n'print" download...). And:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntriy /?

will show up a full "man page" (hehe...)

See also

http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/man/printing.html#id2931140

I used the above and some other references and pieced togethere a few commands to auto-map network printers at logon:

REM rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ia /m "Ricoh Aficio 200/250 PCL" /h "Intel" /v
"Windows 2000" /f %windir%\inf\ntprint.inf
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "Hallway Printer" /f %windir%\inf\ntprint.inf
/r
"\\skyline\jetdirect" /m "Ricoh Aficio 200/250 PCL"

These work just fine...as long as the user is an administrator. If the user logging on
is
a regular user, which most are, it give me "Access denied" when trying to map the
printer,
on the same computer. These commands are being run from the netlogon.bat script that
runs
at logon. Am I missing something?

Indeed you are. Windows NT/200x/XP requires you to explicitly give the
user the rights to make changes. If I am not mistaken, you can get around
this by adding the Domain Users group to the Local Power Users group on
each workstation.

What rights does a normal user have by default? Can they map a network drive?

Default rights do not permit the user to change any system settings, not
even the time.

Once logged in an authenticated network user can map a drive if he/she has
access to the target resouce. Since printers require installation of
driver files, this is not permitted by default user settings.

Is there no way to add printers from a netlogon script without the user being a Power User or higher?

That question is best answered by Microsoft. Have you checked the
Microsoft Knowledge Base?

My interpretation of your question is, "Is there no way to give users a
privilege they do not have without giving them the privilege they need?"

Logically, my answer is - No. No way. But my logic is flawed, so do not
take my answer as gospel.

I hadn't even thought about consulting the MS KB, even though this problem isn't technically Samba related and is definately MS related and involves using their tools ;)

--
Andrew Gaffney
System Administrator