Ivo Dancet wrote:

I need to set up a samba server (I think samba 3.0.2 will be the one) as PDC for my school. It needs to serve mandatory profiles, home dirs, shares, printers. As OS I think redhat will do just fine (or isn't that a good idea?). Authentication would use openLDAP (if I get it online with the hints of realx).

While I use Debian, there's certainly nothing wrong with using Red Hat.

Questions: 1. What hardware will do a fine job to do this?

You neglect to give any hint as to how many users. Obviously, the more users, the
beefier a system.

2. Can a webserver run on the same server without problems or is it better to have another server to serve pages (html, php, mysql) for intranet and 'claroline' (an online learning environment).

Certainly nothing against it, but, again, if you're stretching your hardware's limitations, it would probably be best to have it on a separate system.

3. and something else: is it easy to add users in bulk to that openldap server (with home dir and so)?

If you're familiar with Perl (or sed/awk, Python, etc.), once you understand the underlying principles of LDAP, and LDIF files, creation of users becomes trivial.

A few early questions, I'm sure a lot will folow, even though I read a lot of info...

We all have to start somewhere; that's what lists like this are for.

Ken D'Ambrosio
Sr. SysAdmin,
Xanoptix, Inc.