I have the same problem using samba 3.0.2a SUN Solaris-9 SUN One Directory Server 5.2

Supplementary groups are recognized quite correct under unix shell
environment, but samba can recognize them only from /etc/group file
ignoring content of /etc/nsswithch.conf

Is it bug or samba-3.* feature?

What are the clients you use ? If Win9X, there was a bug in Samba3 before 3.0.1rc? where groups where compared in uppercase to the posix ones (mostly lowercase). It has been corrected in latests Samba 3.0.2 and 3.0.2a.

I'm using Samba 3.0.2a & win2K clients. All secondary groups are in LDAP and groupmapped i.e. Each secondary group has ... objectClass: sambaGroupMapping sambaSID: S-1-5-21-... ...

The point is the secondary groups are not even requested during login process according to the LDAP server log-file.

Also, remember that all the secondary groups you need to see in Samba have to be defined in LDAP, and groupmapped.

Regards,

Jérôme