Hi, I have a server, snap1 10.8.5.10, that runs samba, and have users created by using useradd (but not added them to snap1's smbpasswd). I'd like for users on our primary samba server, archives1 10.8.5.2, to be able to type in \\snap1\username in windows and have the snap1 server take them to their home directory on the snap1 server, but athenticate the users against archives1's snmbpasswd. The usernames on archives1 and snap1 are identical. I tried adding wins server = 10.8.5.2 but it didn't work. The only other thing I can think of is using scp or ncftpget to copy archives1's smbpasswd file to snap1, but I'd like to know if there is a way to setup snap1's samba to authenticate users using archives1's smbpasswd directly instead of copying over archives1's smbpasswd file.

archives1 is Redhat 9 with samba 2.2.8a. snap1 is a snap appliance server (1U rackmount hard drive array) running Guardian OS Linux. smbd -V on it doesn't show the samba version but it appears to be a version of samba 2.2 from its functionality.

any suggestions on how to get snap1 to authenticate users against archives1's smbpasswd file? Thanks!