Through my Server Admin, a graph of Samba "connected users" shows that the number of smbd server processes grows and grows without end -- processes never time out/log out and die. This was no problem under light usage, but when I moved a heavily used share to the server, the number of processes spun out of control.

What made it all worse was that many of the supposedly dormant processes still took up 0.5% of the CPU, which, when the process numbers grew into the hundreds, did a nice job of locking up the server.

Can anyone else report a similar experience? Is there a fix?

Keith Bettinger
Lead Programmer/Head Systems Administrator
Stanford Psychiatry Neuroimaging Laboratory
(650) 498-4620

Technical Details:

Machine Model: Xserve
      CPU Type: PowerPC G4  (3.3)
      Number Of CPUs: 2
      CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
      L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
      L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
      Memory: 2 GB
      Bus Speed: 167 MHz
      Boot ROM Version: 4.65f3

smb.conf:
[global]
log level = 2
display charset = UTF-8-MAC
print command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess printps %p %s
lprm command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess remove %p %j
security = domain
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
guest account = unknown
encrypt passwords = yes
password server = *
printing = BSD
allow trusted domains = no
preferred master = no
lppause command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess hold %p %j
netbios name = spnlXserve
wins support = no
add machine script = /usr/bin/opendirectorypdbconfig -c create_computer_account -r %u -n "/LDAPv3/127.0.0.1"
max smbd processes = 0
printcap =
server string = spnlXserve MEGA Server
lpresume command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess release %p %j
logon drive = H:
domain logons = no
lpq command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess jobs %p
admin users = @admin
passdb backend = opendirectorysam guest
dos charset = CP437
unix charset = UTF-8-MAC