>Hi,

>I have a linux box set up with Samba 3.0 and have configured my shared
>drives. What I am trying to do is store a MS SQL data base on my Samba
>share.
>I can see the drive from my SQL machine but when I try create the database
>there I get errors like inconsistent file names etc.

>Fist can this be done and if so how?

>Thanx
>Warren

The short answer is no.. Ms SQL requires that its databases are stored on a local
disk, This is by design of the application it doesnt matter if its Windows , Samba etc
making the shares available.

The only way to create a "non-local" database is through use of specifically crafted
drivers which are written in order to make the remote share appear local. This is how
appliances such as NetApp work.

If you are worried about it for backup purposes simply dump your SQL to disk nightly
onto the shared drive.