tms3 wrote:
Here's a puzzler.

I know that in winblowz you can map network drive \\ip addy\share, however you cannot do this with smbfs.

Yes you can. Try "smbmount '\\netbios name\share' /mnt/point -o ip=<IPADDR>". This will contact the server via IP and then verify that that machine is 'netbios name'.

OK so I create a local DNS record such that server resolves to this ip addy. Winblowz will mount that way, but smbfs won't. Oh yeah, this share is located at an IP addy at a sattelite office over the internet. Is this simply not doable?

-- Andrew Gaffney Network Administrator Skyline Aeronautics, LLC. 636-357-1548