I'm using Samba 3.0.3 on Fedora Core 2 with OpenLDAP 2.1.29 for a backend. I'm getting to typical "The user name could not be found." error upon trying to join a Windows box. I've gone through every digest on lists.samba.org and other sites and nothing has worked yet. Any suggestions:

You must have missed the ou=Computers discussion then, it comes up about every 2 weeks.

  ; User and Machine Account Backends
  ldap ssl = start_tls
  passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://smbtest.soil.ncsu.edu:389
  ldap suffix = dc=soil,dc=ncsu,dc=edu
  ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=soil,dc=ncsu,dc=edu
  ldap delete dn = no
  ldap user suffix = ou=People
  ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
  ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers

change this to ou=People or do one of the workarounds people have suggested, those being to reconfigure your nss library to search to a point in your ldap structure that contains both ou=People and ou=Computers (dc=soil,dc=ncsu,dc=edu). I guess that's the only suggested one, but I've thought about a couple others, one being to make an ou=Accounts which would contain aliases to ou=People and ou=Computers, but I haven't tested it yet...

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:                701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:                  701-306-6254