[EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb:
Concerning Samba consuming memory, I forgot to add one thing, sorry.

The process listing does not show Smbd consuming the memory. "free -m" just
reports a drastic increase when I use Samba.

This probably is only the file cache using the previously unallocated memory. It's not uncommon to use all available memory on a unix system.
If you use linux you may reduce the dirty time in bdflush to avoid a time 'penalty' if the memory is really needed by another program.