On 12 Jul 2004, at 13:31, B.Rumsey wrote:

I am able to log into it but windows complains about not being able to find
the profile. I have created the dir /var/lib/samba/profiles/ and the users
folders.

1: Where  can I find the windows default profile?
2: Can this be edited (default win profile )?

The default profile in a Domain is in [netlogon]/Default User

It appears from my experimentation that the local PC will only use the ".../Default User" profile if the local "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User" folder has been deleted. I'll let others on the list correct my mistake.

To edit the default profile, I ended up building a "foobar" profile was setting everything "just the way I want it", then logging out. On the Samba server, I then copied that profile:
cp -a foobar ../netlogon/Default\ User
chmod -R a+rx ../netlogon/Default\ User

To test, I deleted foobar's directory from "C:\Documents and Settings" and the Samba server's profiles directory then logged on again as foobar. I had set the default profile to be the "Silver" XP theme with the "Radiance" desktop picture, with Firefox as the web browser, and Thunderbird as the mail reader. This is quite distinctive, especially when compared with the Windows 2000-style default user that seems to come with Windows XP Pro (why not a Windows XP (default) theme?). As a final touch, I have a logon script that maps the user's home directory to H:, and I set "My Documents" to be H:.

When I logged on as foobar, the system complained that it couldn't find the server profile, then it complained that it couldn't find the local profile, then it gave me my custom Default User profile, along with the My Documents mapped to H:.

Further reading:
John H. Terpstra's "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" at http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ ProfileMgmt.html#id2579234

Note that I'm a little confused by this block of text:
When MS Windows 200x/XP participates in a domain security context, and if the default user profile is not found, then the client will search for a default profile in the NETLOGON share of the authenticating server. In MS Windows parlance,%LOGONSERVER%\NETLOGON\Default User, and if one exists there it will copy this to the workstation to the C:\Documents and Settings\ under the Windows login name of the user.

If a default profile does not exist in this location, then MS Windows 200x/XP will use the local default profile.

This indicates that the default user profile is checked both first and last, unless "the default user profile" means something other than the Domain-provided "Default User" or the local "Default User".

Sweet.
Alex