I've been fighting with winbind for several months now have yet to get it to work according to the documentation.

I've got a Samba 3.0.4 PDC, named PDC, running on a Debian linux box, and I'm trying to add a second linux box, FCSPRTSRV. I can successful join the domain using net rpc join -U dharknes and at the point I can access the samba server resources, I can do a ntlm_auth --username dharknes and that works, and wbinfo -t succeeds. But if I try to use winbind in pam or nss then it fails. wbinfo -u or -g both fail and wbinfo -m lists BUILTIN and FCSPRTSRV but not the UMD domain. If I do a winbind -i then I get the following out put.

Added domain UMD  S-0-0
Added domain BUILTIN  S-1-5-32
Added domain FCSPRTSRV  S-1-5-21-3155517584-1503604126-1704732448

I'm just guessing but shouldn't the first line list the sid for the domain?

Here is the PDC config.
[global]
        workgroup = UMD
        netbios name = PDC
        password server = *
        nt status support = yes
        lanman auth = no
        wide links = no
        time server = Yes
        server signing = auto
        load printers = No
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/dadduser %m$
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 36
        security = user
        local master = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins server = x1d.its.umd.umich.edu
        idmap uid = 100000-200000
        idmap gid = 100000-200000
        winbind trusted domains only = Yes

Here is the domain member server config.
[global]

   workgroup = UMD
   wins server =  x1d.its.umd.umich.edu
   name resolve order = host wins
   encrypt passwords = yes
   security = DOMAIN
   password server = PDC
   invalid users = root
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   idmap uid = 100000-200000
   idmap gid = 100000-200000
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes
   winbind separator = +
   winbind cache time = 15
   winbind use default domain = yes
   template shell = /bin/bash

It is easier to fix Unix than to live with NT.