I have Samba 2.2.7 installed in a FreeBSD 4.7 server acting as a PDC.
Every folder listing in our main shared folders (drive H: mapped during login script) is terrible slow.

Initially I checked my server disks, partitions and virtual memory status and verified that everything is okay.

My SMB.CONF is:
; ======= BEGIN SMB.CONF ===========================
[global]
netbios name = BENDER
workgroup = CCNET
server string = Servidor da Rede CCA %v [%L]
smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/lib/smbpasswd
log level = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.0.0.1
hosts deny = ALL EXCEPT 192.168.0. 127.0.0.1
interfaces = 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1
bind interfaces only = yes
security = user
admin users = root rommel haddad
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes
logon drive = K:
logon home = \\%L\%U
os level = 99
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes
username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/user.map
domain admin group = @wheel
add user script = /usr/sbin/pw useradd -g machines -c %u -d /nonexistent -s /nonexistent -n %u
delete user script = /usr/sbin/pw userdel %u
logon path = \\%L\profile\%a\%U
logon script = scripts\%U.bat
share modes = yes
time server = yes
map archive = yes
map system = yes
map hidden = yes
hide dot files = yes
load printers = yes
printing = BSD
printcap name = /etc/printcap
print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P %p -r %s
min print space = 2000
encrypt passwords = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
unix password sync = yes
passwd chat debug = yes
min passwd length = 4
passwd chat = *ew*password* %n\n *ew*password* %n\n *done*
client code page = 850
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
max xmit = 65535
dead time = 15
getwd cache = yes
oplocks = no
kernel oplocks = no
lock directory = /var/lock/samba
level2 oplocks = no
locking = yes
veto oplock files = /prf*.tmp/

#Docs - common to everyone
[Docs]
            only user = yes
            valid users = @docs
            write list = @docs
            force create mode =
            preserve case = yes
            max connections = 0
            force directory mode =
            path = /usr/samba/docs
            comment = Documentos Compartilhados
            short preserve case = yes
            create mode = 0666
            directory mask = 0777
            force group = docs
            writeable = yes
            user = @docs

; Supressed info about other shares & printers

; ======= END SMB.CONF ===========================

I decided to use TCPDUMP to verify what it is happening and I discovered that Windows XP client is fetching the whole folder tree listing (we have almost 43K files using 2.5 GB).

A simple open and save file (a small Excel worksheet with18 kb) used almost 8000 tcp packets. The same test using a Windows 98 workstation worked flawlessly (It didn't pump the whole directory tree).

My Windows XP SP1 PRO clients have Web Client disabled and I have already disabled Oplocks in Windows XP using the registry hack described in http://support.microsoft.com/?id=812937. I have installed all released updates installed in my Windows XP Pro SP1 in every workstation.

I even tried to implement the tips described in this article:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/slowbrowse02.htm

but the problem persists.

I know I will have to upgrade to Samba 2.2.10 in order to fix the password problem, but this feature is not a major issue now because we wish to upgrade to Samba release 3.x in the next months.

Has anyone detected the same problem? Any fixes / suggetions? I can attach my tcpdump if this would bring any futher help. Thanks in advance for the help.

Rommel Agnol
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
dBZi Engenharia
http://www.dbzi.net