Simon Hobson wrote:

Interestingly, I tried [0-9]+ and it doesn't select anything, whereas [0-9][0-9]* does. And now I see why VM\? failed, the \ was to escape the ?, and I overlooked the meaning of ?

Anyway, I settled on '^[0-9][0-9]* VM[?]^M$' (where the ^M is a return, not two characters) which should be safe - I think in the past I must have tried $^M which of course doesn't work.

Just proves that most of us still have plenty to learn !

That's right. Like me.
Forgot grep loses the special meaning of + and ? and \+ \? bring the special meaning back.
Have to use egrep or grep -E with my expression

Cheers, Doug