Andrew B. Young wrote:

My http authentication through winbind has stopped working with a Fedora
Core 2 update of httpd and samba (and others),
httpd-2.0.49-4 -> httpd-2.0.50-2.1 & samba-3.0.3-5 -> samba-3.0.6-2.fc2
which I believe is caused by a winbind bug (http://us1.samba.org/samba/news/#comingsoon_3.0.7)

What is the best strategy to fix this?  I can think of two:
1)      rpm --erase all the samba-*-3.0.6-2.fc2 packages and
       rpm --install all the samba-*-3.0.3-5 packages

   I have never done this, but suppose it will work.

2) download the Samba 3.0.6 source, apply the patch, compile, install, & run

I am worried this will somehow interfer w/ samba-*-3.0.6-2.fc2 packages
preventing me from using the Fedora update in the future.

Thanks,
Andrw

1 should work quite well, however keep in mind that by doing that you are going to lose everything in /var/cache/samba (idmaps etc.) so you may need to reapply permissions on local files.

I'm not sure how 2 will work and I imagine it would cause some confusion with Fedora's update feature.

Christian