I set up a LM ( Linux Mandrake ) machine a 6 or 7 months ago with LM8.2 and
samba 2.2.8a.

I set up a 5 disk software raid 5 and made 5 accounts and 5 entries into
smbpasswd using

smbpasswd -an XXXXXX

All went fine, nothing out of the usual happened and all users could hammer
the raid remotely to see if it died.

I have just resurrected the machine, which has been powered down for about 4
months now.

When i now enter

smbpasswd -an XXXX

i get the following !!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mctkeaw]# smbpasswd -an mctssvw
LDAPS option set...!
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as ""
Bind failed: Can't contact LDAP server
LDAPS option set...!
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as ""
Bind failed: Can't contact LDAP server
Failed to add entry for user mctssvw.
Failed to modify password entry for user mctssvw
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mctkeaw]#

I have looked in passwd and mctssvw is there.

allow null passwords is in the global settings of smb.conf

I have also looked in smb.conf and the ldap options are commented out.

I have no idea why this should start now, nothing has been added or changed
since it was last powered down.

Can anybody help

Many thanks

Ken