To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 12:20 AM
Subject: [Samba] Samba Printer Accounting

Howdy,

I'm looking for a piece of software I can use for accounting printers shared
on a Linux box via Samba, to Win98/2K/XP machines on a domain. In other
words, I want to be able to give user a print quota (say, $3.00), then charge
them 10c per page they print from a Windows client to a printer shared from a
Linux box running Samba. If they're out of quota, it doesn't print (and
doesn't tie up the print queue for everybody else).

I can't find any workable solutions. I tried PrintBill, but it's rather
buggy, it tends to jam up queues randomly, and requires a Postscript driver
and as a result there's all sorts of ways to bypass it.

I'm more than happy with a commercial solution. I just want something that
works :-)

Thanks,

Ryan

--