Hi again,

Roland Giesler schrieb:
Hi,
another thing popes to my mind,
check if a nscd process is running on your box.
if yes stop it and remove it from the startup-scripts.
It is not compatible with with samba and windbindd and
may create strange effects.
Christoph

Yes, nscd was running, but I have stopped it now.  What is nscd?

Also, further to our discussion before, the userid actually get's changed
Look at this:

you didn't check what i wanted you to check... ;-)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# ls -l /home/RHENGHS/canhal
total 12
drwx------  7 monsla Domain Users 4096 Aug 17 13:48 Maildir/
drwx------  2 monsla Domain Users 4096 Feb 23  2002 tmp/
drwxr-xr-x  2 monsla Domain Users 4096 Jun 20  2002 webpage/
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# ls -ln /home/RHENGHS/canhal
total 12
drwx------  7 10585 10000 4096 Aug 17 13:48 Maildir/
drwx------  2 10585 10000 4096 Feb 23  2002 tmp/
drwxr-xr-x  2 10585 10000 4096 Jun 20  2002 webpage/
                ^^^^^^^^^^^
what i want you to verify is if these numbers are changing.
i bet they are constant and the only changing numbers are the
numbers reported from getent.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# getent passwd canhal
canhal:x:10167:10000::/home/RHENGHS/canhal:/bin/bash

So you can see that the correct user should be 10167, not 10585

No, i bet the number reported from getent is changing.

Also SMB hangs after a few hours.  When I left last night, everything had
been running fine for about 2 hours.  When I got to work this morning,
no-one was authenticated.  When I tried to ls a user dir, I got not
response. On issuing the reboot command I saw on the console that there was
no process SMB.  Here are the SMB messages in syslog.

How was your samba installed? Was it compiled from source or are the package(s) from your distribution installed?

Christoph