I am having problems with my samba clients. I am using Windows XP SP1 to
try to connect to a Samba server I have running on my Gentoo Linux server.

Windows file browser) locks up hard. Eventually, the title bar of the
windows will update itself to say "Not Responding", but the only way out
is to force Explorer to quit and then wait for it to relaunch (or, if I'm
lucky, sometimes I can pull up the Task Manager and start Explorer that
way).

Maybe you are experiencing the sendfile problem. Using sendfile is the default for newer samba versions, but unfortuneately a lot of kernels don't implement that right.
Try using
use sendfile = no
in your global section

> socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

Setting buffer to 8192 usually decreases buffer space on most systems. This maybe is a leftover in the docs from old times and not useful any more.