Perfect... exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!

> >   - why would I be getting half the performance via nfs vs smb?  Is
> there a
> > lot more overhead with smb vs nfs?
>
> Give your smb.conf for comparison

I didn't include it because it didn't change across my comparisons, but here
it is:

--/etc/samba/smb.conf--
#Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = MSHOME
        netbios name = NAS3
        security = SHARE
        server string = Samba Server
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        encrypt passwords = yes

[data]
        comment = RAID5 Share
        browseable = yes
        path = /data
        force user = nobody
        force group = nobody
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
--

I haven't tried playing with the socket_options.  Tweaking those would
perhaps change my performance of the smb tests, however it still wouldn't

Tim